About the Team:
Uber's Commerce Engineering group is responsible for maintaining and enhancing the infrastructure for orders and payments that enables all lines of businesses across Uber to conduct business. All commerce in and out of Uber flows through these mission-critical systems. In 2019 this meant processing over 6.9 billion trips with $65 billion in gross bookings. With strict availability requirements, this is one of Uber's largest scalable systems and the complex day-to-day interactions require careful coordination from engineers that have a deep sense of quality, security, and ingenuity. The Order Platform team owns the lifecycle of all orders (ridesharing trips, freight loads, eats orders, etc.) from beginning to end. As a critical central platform, we straddle the line between infrastructure and product in such a way that we solve deep technical challenges, at scale, in problem domains that are specific to Uber's business.
About the Role:
Impact and responsibilities -
As a backend engineer on the Order Platform, you'll be writing reliable and maintainable code that teams across the company rely on while collaborating extensively with those teams to anticipate the platform features required to enable them to launch new and innovative products.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent 2+ years of experience with systems software engineering.
• Sound understanding of computer architecture and CS fundamentals.
• Strong problem solving and coding skills
• Experience with developing, debugging, and shipping software products on large code bases that span platforms and tools
• Experience with Software Development processes such as design, planning, implementation, maintenance & documentation
• Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams Passion for learning new technologies, domains, and challenging the status quo.
• Grit, drive and a strong feeling of ownership coupled with collaboration.
• Expertise in one or more object oriented programming languages (e.g. Java, Golang, Python) and the eagerness to learn
• Experience with production-quality services, deployment, monitoring, and reliability. Experience with distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, Cassandra)
• Ability to decompose complex business problems into clean, extensible, performant services and systems Self driven to identify opportunities to make things better and efficient.
• Experience with building high performance, scalable distributed systems using technologies like Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, or Zookeeper
• Background with payment systems or financial technology
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing [this form](https://forms.gle/aDWTk9k6xtMU25Y5A).