About the Team
Whether engineering more accurate ETAs or helping drivers navigate to the perfect pick-up spot, our mapping technologies are integral to the magic of the Uber platform. On the Maps Engineer team, we use the latest ML, GPS, and telematics solutions. We run Big Data Pipelines and maintain services that serve tens of thousands of requests per second. This is all to make transportation on our platform safer and more accessible.
About the Role
Whenever you see a map, get an ETA, see the route a driver or courier is taking, or get picked up at the right location in an Uber product, it is being powered by the Maps Engineering team. We have multiple roles across Maps including Basemaps, Geofences and Tolls and Surcharges. As a part of the team, you'll have a chance to work on the systems that are at the core of the services Uber provides. Your work will directly impact the millions of people who rely on Uber each and every day.
What You'll Do
Help build and extend large scale, distributed systems related to storing and serving geospatial data, including:
• Extend and optimize a large-scale map storage service using NoSQL technologies.
• Build and extend a service and UI that serves geofences to more than one hundred other internal Uber services.
• Architect and implement solutions to challenging problems around cross-data-center consistency and availability, short and long transactions, latency, caching, indexing, throughput, proxies, asynchronous processing with message queues, and storage garbage collection.
• Work with Uber teams in maps, rides, eats, and freight to understand requirements and provide solutions and advice on how they can optimize the usage of their spatial data.
• Bachelor of Science degree (or higher) in computer science, related field or equivalent practical experience.
• Strong software engineering skills, supported by 3+ years of industry experience in languages like Java, GO, or C++.
• Strong collaboration and communication skills; ability to influence others within your team and outside your team.
• Experience with any of the following: scalable, distributed systems and services; distributed SQL/NoSQL data stores like MySQL, HBase, Cassandra, HDFS; Spark, EMR, S3; messages queues like Kafka; geo-replication and consistency/availability trade-offs; and service-oriented-architectures.
• Experience or passion for working on systems related to maps.
For Colorado-based roles: The salary/hourly rate range for this role is $131,220 per year - $145,800 per year. You will be eligible to participate in Uber's bonus program, and may be offered an equity award, commissions, & other types of comp. You will also be eligible for various benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.uber.com/careers/benefits.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing [this form](https://forms.gle/aDWTk9k6xtMU25Y5A).